Orono Minnesota Dentistry
The Top 5 Things to Do Beyond Brushing and Flossing to Maintain a Shining Smile
Brushing and flossing every day are normal things that every dentist recommends to help you maintain your dental hygiene. But there are some other things that you can do that we recommend that will ensure a healthy smile for a lifetime. They are simple and almost painless…but oh so important.
- Fist, use a small headed toothbrush, it’s easier to reach the small places within your mouth where plaque and cavities can start.
- Drink plenty of water and eat a lot of fiber. The water keeps your mouth salivated, and prevents the growth of bacteria. The Fiber helps keep your teeth clean.
- Change that toothbrush every three months – no, they do not last from dental visit to dental visit. If your toothbrush bristles start to look tattered before three months are up – change them then!
- Hungry? Eat a carrot or apple! Why? They clean your mouth along with being good for your overall health.
- Leave a 1-hour gap between meals and brushing, some foods leave teeth vulnerable and brushing immediately can lead to erosion.
It goes without saying that visiting your dentist at least every six months is vital.
Follow these tips and a sparkling smile will be your reward!