Often time’s parents think that they have to take their kids to see a dentist that specializes in pediatric dentistry.
This is not the case. We offer excellent care for children and the whole family right here at Lakeside Family Dentistry.
Most kids do great when they go to see the dentist. In fact, we have many children in our practice that look forward to going to the dentist. We often hear from surprised parents that say, “He/She was so excited to get to come to the dentist today.” Of course we love to hear this and do our best to make it an enjoyable experience for all of our patients.
There are times when a child has extensive dental work that needs to be done but also has high anxiety. Both Dr. Boe and Dr. Mike will refer a child to a pediatric dentist if they feel it is in the child’s best interest. This happens once or twice every year. Our patient’s best interest is always our number one concern.
What Does A Typical Dental Cleaning Look Like For The Kids We See?
- We will have the parents update their child’s information when they first arrive at our office. We have a play area for kids as well as our smile board where the kids get to look for their friends as well as take down their own picture from their last visit to take home with them. We will take a new picture before they go back for their cleaning and have it ready at the end of their appointment to hang up on the smile board.
- Our friendly hygienist will come up and greet your child and take them back to have their teeth cleaned. During the cleaning we will take any necessary x-rays to check for cavities, we will polish your child’s teeth, floss them and give them a fluoride treatment. The doctor will come in and read any x-rays that have been taken and do a comprehensive exam with the help of the hygienist.
- We are always interested to learn about the children’s brushing and flossing habits at home. We do encourage parents to let their kids 0-6 years old, brush first and then follow up in order to make sure they haven’t missed any areas. We have found this partnership to work well. We always encourage brushing in the morning after breakfast and at night just before going to bed. Most kids will benefit from having their parents floss their teeth for them once a day.
- If your child needs any treatment we will go over this with you before you leave.
- Finally, the most important part of your child’s visit!! Picking their prize and picking a new toothbrush to take home. (At least they think so!)
We love having our pediatric patients come in for their two annual visits each year. It’s fun for us to get to know these young people and watch them change and grow!
If you are considering where your child will receive the best dental care, please consider bringing them here! We have a passion for giving the best care to kid’s in our west metro area communities.